This is an EU/EMDA iNET Transport funded project, in collaboration with DMU, The project aims to investigate improving the technology support for Mobility scooters for out of home activities. Addressing the out-of-home activities is important as it is considered a factor of reducing the social isolation and to help improving the independence and life style of elderly.
A monitoring and navigation system (including in-door) is developed and mounted on a standard scooter. A shopping show-case is demonstrated and trialled at one of the Co-op supermarkets. See a demo here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQm4GKfgN0
This project, in particular, attracted a lot of media coverage, local, national, and international, and BBC interviews. Examples of that can be found in the list below:
- Daily Telegraph, ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6772451/Mobility-scooters-to-be-fitted-with-tracking-technology-to-prevent-users-getting-lost.html )
- RAC news ( http://www.rac.co.uk/news-advice/motoring-news/post/2009/12/mobility-scooters-to-get-trackers/)
- Press Association http://www.pressassociation.com/component/pafeeds/2009/12/09/new_mobility_scooter_technology?camefrom=specialist-news ).
- Technology news – News – Digital & tech – Virgin Media
- E-Health Insider :: Researchers work on telehealth scooter
- Mobility Products/Compare Blog
- Lincolnshire Echo ( http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/news/Uni-develops-trackers-mobility-scooters/article-1601844-detail/article.html ),
- Leicester Mercury ( http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/news/Scooter-tracker-bring-freedom-elderly/article-1602851-detail/article.html )
- BBC Lincolnshire, Radio Interviews with Dr Ahmed (recordings available).
And various business pages including
- The story has also gone world-wide on the web appearing in many specialist on-line journals, such as http://www.parentgiving.com/elder-care/newsflash/fast-tracking-mobility-for-seniors/
- It was also included in the FAST (Foundation for Assistive Technology) research database: http://www.fastuk.org/research/projview.php?id=1595
We also received requests from BBC LookNorth and ITV for filming our system’s prototype, and this is in planning.